Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spring Party

While perusing Facebook today, I heard the little Ding! that alerts me to an incoming message. I checked it, and my Young Women's leader was begging me to bring 3 dozen cookies to the church's Spring Ward Party.
While I have a recipe that does indeed yield 3 doz. cookies due to the size of my scoop, we were out of oatmeal! SO back to the drawing board. I was looking above my fridge, and I happened to see our Ginger-bread House bundt pan:
And that brought to mind this cake that I've made many times since Halloween:  
The best part? You can customise the colors to anything you want! 
All you need is two white cake mixes (or one white and one chocolate)
A super simple recipe, you only need:
  • 1 box White cake mix
  • 1 box Chocolate cake mix(or another white one, if you don't want/like chocolate
  • Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix boxes
  • 2, 3, 4, even 8 food coloring bottles if you really want
  • Your choice of Bundt pan
  • and some icing-optional
Since I woke up late and was only given a few hours to prepare, I didn't have the presence of mind to take any pictures, so I borrowed all these from the Internet. 

Anyways, like I said the cake is simple. 
But I do have a quick little helpful tip for you: instead of doing the nasty oil-and-flour gook that covers your beautiful cake in yellow nastiness that you try to cover with icing but no one will eat the cake because they can taste it, reserve about 4 TBSP. of your dry cake mix. Fatten up your pan (Tee hee :D ) and dump the 4 Tbs. of mix in. Shake around, and if you have any left over you can dump it right back into your bowl and mix it right in. 
After doing that, take the two mixes (I suggest getting the same kind so that it's easier to make according to the instructions), make them according to the box instructions, and then separate the batter into clear bowls-this makes it easier to tell if all your color is incorporated into the batter when you mix it. 
I Do suggest using your electric beater, it saves you lot of time and arm strain. 
Once all of your batter is colored to your hue desires, grab some measuring cups. Pour the different colored batters in, alternating. 
The smaller the drops of color are, the more variety you get-just try to avoid putting the same colors next to each other. 

When it's done baking, allow to cool and then drizzle it with a simple icing or grab a tub of Pillsbury Chocolate Icing, and melt a bit to drizzle on top. 
Enjoy!


As I mentioned, I don't own any of these pictures, I just borrowed them for the sake of giving you a visual representation. Maybe next time I'll remember to take pics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment